It was quick to assemble (once I'd looked at a pic online and understood how the mast/yard connection went together anyway). The detailing is very good, especially the decks, which I decided not to bother painting, and the intricate stern decoration.
I did make a couple of modifications though. I added a removable bowsprit and some supporting pieces for it, as I felt the model was lacking in this regard. I also added some height to the whole model, with a piece of 10mm styrofoam cut to fit underneath. I think together these changes enhance the model and give me something closer to what I'm after.
I will probably pick up a few guns, which will look good on deck, and may even get fired in the odd game :)
Now, back to the wood glue for more MDF delights...